Thursday, 31 July 2014
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: RP-5 Line-Up for 25th FIBA-ASIA Championship

RP-5 Line-Up for 25th FIBA-ASIA Championship 5 years 4 days ago #82474

Yeng Guiao disclosed the final line-up of the Powerade-RP Team to the 25th FIBA Asia Men’s Championship set Aug. 6-16 in Tianjin, China.

The team will be composed of Jayjay Helterbrand, Willie Miller, Gabe Norwood, Arwind Santos, Jared Dillinger, Cyrus Baguio, Japeth Aguilar, Kerby Raymundo, Sonny Thoss, James Yap, Asi Taulava, and Mick Pennisi.

I haven't watch PBA Games for almost 7 years now, so I am not familiar with these names anymore. Alam ko lang, si James Yap hubby ni Kris, si Asi Taulava, pinoy na ba? Kerby Raymundo naging pinakabatang RP Team member noon. The rest hindi na ako familiar.

Based on what I read in some of our local papers and some blogsites, this team is very weak. Mga bata lang daw ni Yeng guiao ang pinili. To better know how our team will fare in other Asian powerhouse this August, RP Team participated in this years Jone's Cup in Taiwan. And you know what, as of today our team stands 1-5! With this kind of showing, I dont think our team will do better come August 16. I just hope that I am wrong. Sana maging maganda pa rin ang resulta.
  • boroyski
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:RP-5 Line-Up for 25th FIBA-ASIA Championship 5 years 14 hours ago #82573

boroyski wrote:
Yeng Guiao disclosed the final line-up of the Powerade-RP Team to the 25th FIBA Asia Men’s Championship set Aug. 6-16 in Tianjin, China.

The team will be composed of Jayjay Helterbrand, Willie Miller, Gabe Norwood, Arwind Santos, Jared Dillinger, Cyrus Baguio, Japeth Aguilar, Kerby Raymundo, Sonny Thoss, James Yap, Asi Taulava, and Mick Pennisi.

I haven't watch PBA Games for almost 7 years now, so I am not familiar with these names anymore. Alam ko lang, si James Yap hubby ni Kris, si Asi Taulava, pinoy na ba? Kerby Raymundo naging pinakabatang RP Team member noon. The rest hindi na ako familiar.

Based on what I read in some of our local papers and some blogsites, this team is very weak. Mga bata lang daw ni Yeng guiao ang pinili. To better know how our team will fare in other Asian powerhouse this August, RP Team participated in this years Jone's Cup in Taiwan. And you know what, as of today our team stands 1-5! With this kind of showing, I dont think our team will do better come August 16. I just hope that I am wrong. Sana maging maganda pa rin ang resulta.

They are good names in our pro league back home. However, to contend and win games in this level they need to have big guys who can run, defend and shoot. The reason of the rooster perhaps is based on what the coaching staff think would match against the current lineup of the would be opponents in tournament. Plus, some of them have already represented the country in various international events namely Helterbrand, Taulava, Pinisi, Yap, Norwood sino pa ba?

But I wonder what happened to Alapag? I know Miller can play a key role from the top side by side Helterbrand and this guys is very sharp from the rainbow area. But Alapag, I believe has the heart of a leader, not downplaying Miller's ability to lead, who is fearless and effective against opponents twice his size.

• Master J
  • Spammer
  • Limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.
  • Thank you received 2
Learn photography from a PRO check out Photography Workshops Bangkok Thailand. - Jose Tan Photography
Portrait Photographer Bangkok, Thailand

Re:RP-5 Line-Up for 25th FIBA-ASIA Championship 4 years 11 months ago #82593

Guiao agrees to let Team Pilipinas face Lebanon in tune-up match

www.gmanews.tv/story/168735/Guiao-agrees...non-in-tune-up-match

In what could be its final tune up match prior to leaving for Tianjin, China, the Powerade Team Pilipinas meets the Lebanon national team in a close door game at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center at the Ateneo campus.

Coach Yeng Guiao initially turned down a tune up game against the Fadi El Khatib-led Lebanon squad, pointing out it may lead to the opposition scouting the Nationals instead of the other way around.

But with the two teams belonging to the groups in the 25th FIBA-Asia men’s basketball championship, Guiao eventually agreed to play against them.

It’s our last chance to see what final fine-tuning has to be done. Then, we have two days to make some adjustments.

– Yeng Guiao, National team coach

The RP team has had four meetings to correct major flaws in its game since it returned from a sixth place finish in the 31st William Jones Cup in Taipei and they will have the chance to test-drive their modified version against one of the “Ferraris" in the August 6 to 16 FIBA World qualifying tournament.

The meeting will be the first between the PBA-backed Nationals and Lebanon since the 31st William Jones Cup in Taipei a week ago.

El Khatib finished with only 14 points, but former Louisiana State hotshot Brian Feghali went 5-of-7 from the three-point area to finish with 29 points, while naturalized player Jackson Vroman added 24 as the Lebanese beat the Nationals, 95-83, at the Hsinchuang gym.

As formidable as their frontline already were, the Lebanese, with an eye at beating defending FIBA Asia champion Iran and powerhouse host China, has brought in a Dirk Nowitzki-type of a player in the person of Matt Freijji who dropped 39 points and 14 rebounds in Lebanon’s 97-79 annihilation of South Korea.

“It’s our last chance to see what final fine-tuning has to be done," said national coach Yeng Guiao. “Then, we have two days to make some adjustments."

Guiao believes the setbacks in Taipei, as heartbreaking as some of them were, had achieved a lot.

The expectations, so high before we went to the Jones Cup, is leveling off, I think," Guiao said during practice. “Nakita kasi ng mga Filipino kung gaano talaga kalalaki at kalalakas ng mga kalaban natin. Nakabawas din yong ng pressure sa 'ting mga players na mag-deliver."
  • boroyski

Re:RP-5 Line-Up for 25th FIBA-ASIA Championship 4 years 11 months ago #82596

boroyski wrote:
Guiao agrees to let Team Pilipinas face Lebanon in tune-up match

www.gmanews.tv/story/168735/Guiao-agrees...non-in-tune-up-match

In what could be its final tune up match prior to leaving for Tianjin, China, the Powerade Team Pilipinas meets the Lebanon national team in a close door game at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center at the Ateneo campus.

Coach Yeng Guiao initially turned down a tune up game against the Fadi El Khatib-led Lebanon squad, pointing out it may lead to the opposition scouting the Nationals instead of the other way around.

But with the two teams belonging to the groups in the 25th FIBA-Asia men’s basketball championship, Guiao eventually agreed to play against them.

It’s our last chance to see what final fine-tuning has to be done. Then, we have two days to make some adjustments.

– Yeng Guiao, National team coach

The RP team has had four meetings to correct major flaws in its game since it returned from a sixth place finish in the 31st William Jones Cup in Taipei and they will have the chance to test-drive their modified version against one of the “Ferraris" in the August 6 to 16 FIBA World qualifying tournament.

The meeting will be the first between the PBA-backed Nationals and Lebanon since the 31st William Jones Cup in Taipei a week ago.

El Khatib finished with only 14 points, but former Louisiana State hotshot Brian Feghali went 5-of-7 from the three-point area to finish with 29 points, while naturalized player Jackson Vroman added 24 as the Lebanese beat the Nationals, 95-83, at the Hsinchuang gym.

As formidable as their frontline already were, the Lebanese, with an eye at beating defending FIBA Asia champion Iran and powerhouse host China, has brought in a Dirk Nowitzki-type of a player in the person of Matt Freijji who dropped 39 points and 14 rebounds in Lebanon’s 97-79 annihilation of South Korea.

“It’s our last chance to see what final fine-tuning has to be done," said national coach Yeng Guiao. “Then, we have two days to make some adjustments."

Guiao believes the setbacks in Taipei, as heartbreaking as some of them were, had achieved a lot.

The expectations, so high before we went to the Jones Cup, is leveling off, I think," Guiao said during practice. “Nakita kasi ng mga Filipino kung gaano talaga kalalaki at kalalakas ng mga kalaban natin. Nakabawas din yong ng pressure sa 'ting mga players na mag-deliver."

Yes, it is true that Philippines was once a formidable team to beat when it comes to basketball at least in Asia. Our players got bigger but theirs got even faster and stronger. I guess the expectations came from not being fully aware of what is going on with leagues outside our country, except of course the NBA or the NCAA.

Also, in my opinion, we need more outside shooters who can sink the ball even a couple meters away from the arc. That way, malalaki man ang kalaban may laban pa rin sa labas. I saw this thing happened between China and S. Korea years ago. The Chinese were huge as the Great Wall but the S. Korean threw balls like arrows flying over the wall and into the heart of the basket.
  • Master J
  • Spammer
  • Thank you received 2
Learn photography from a PRO check out Photography Workshops Bangkok Thailand. - Jose Tan Photography

Re:RP-5 Line-Up for 25th FIBA-ASIA Championship 4 years 11 months ago #82597

You are right Mater J. We need players that can shoot from the outside. I think we dont have the "Caidic" type of players in the current PBA rosters now.
  • boroyski

Re:RP-5 Line-Up for 25th FIBA-ASIA Championship 4 years 11 months ago #82598

boroyski wrote:
You are right Mater J. We need players that can shoot from the outside. I think we dont have the "Caidic" type of players in the current PBA rosters now.

Exactly one of the talents I had in mind. The other is Chip Engeland.
  • Master J
  • Spammer
  • Thank you received 2
  • Page: